Witches and Owls and ghost cars, OH MY!

    I would like to preface this blog post by saying that what I'm about to share is not a myth nor folklore. It is the true story of my family's crazy experience visiting an abandoned house that supposedly once belonged to a witch.

    I grew up in a small town in Oklahoma and growing up in a place like Oklahoma, there’s really nothing to do in your free time for fun except drive around, go to Walmart, or go cow tipping. So, my family, being the creative and resourceful people that we are, would go and explore abandoned places. Exploring abandon places was never scary for us, it was always super cool and we loved trying to guess the history of the places we explored. There’s actually a lot of places in Oklahoma where stuff has gone down, so a lot of the places we would explore were famous for being haunted, but my family has always been super skeptical of ghosts and all that stuff, which is the main reason why exploring abandoned places never scared us. This particular story I’m about to tell you happened when I was 11 (I’m 21 now) and my family and I can remember what happened like it was yesterday, but we don’t really like talking about it, because to this day, we still have absolutely no explanation for what happened.

    So, this particular day, my family decided to go explore the famous Witch’s House of Kitchen Lake in Moore Oklahoma. I’ll go ahead and give y’all a little background on this place because it’ll help explain the rest of my story. So supposedly years ago, in the late 1800s or early 1900s, there was a witch that lived in a wooden house with a stone chimney. The witch that lived in this house was known for beheading all kinds of animals and burning them. One day the house “mysteriously” caught fire and burned down with the witch inside and the fireplace and chimney were the only things left standing. There have been several people that say they’ve seen smoke coming out of the chimney even though the house and the witch perished decades ago. Now It’s important for me to mention that the witch that lived in this house was also known for collecting things. It’s said that if you make the two-mile walk down the dirt road to the rusted-out bridge in front of the ruins of her house, you can see the piles of her collections still sitting in the front yard. There are piles of things like old children’s toys, old clothes, ceiling tiles, wood, glass, and a pile of animal carcasses. There are other piles, but you can’t tell what they are anymore due to the fire that destroyed the house. There are also things hanging from the trees surrounding the house though it is unclear what they are. Witnesses have said that they’ve seen headless animals running around, and different piles on the property still smoldering. Legend says that the witch may have died in the fire but her soul still burns anything that is near her property with a vengeance. Even a few scattered houses around the property have scorch marks on the roofs. Driving out there, cars tend to not start, headlights often go off, and there is an incredibly eerie feeling surrounding the whole area as if someone is watching you. You can also hear footsteps following directly behind you if you are very quiet and when you turn around, there is nothing there.

    So, like I mentioned before my family was pretty skeptical about ghosts and the paranormal so we definitely didn’t believe in the craziness of this place and the stories behind it (I mean headless animals running around? Come on now) so we decided we’d check it out. So, my dad, my mom, my older brother and I, hopped in my dad’s old truck and started the 20-minute drive across town to the witch's house. It was about 3 o’clock in the afternoon when we got there, a solid part of the afternoon right? Well, we sure thought so. We pulled up to the metal swinging gate and parked the truck. Luckily my dad had enough sense to back the truck up to the gate so we wouldn’t have to back out and turnaround later. We then preceded to hop the metal swinging gate to begin the PERFECTLY straight two-mile walk down the dirt road to the house. Now I know you may not be familiar with what the land in Oklahoma is like, so let me explain. Oklahoma is FLAT. It ain’t called the great flat plains for nothing. Now being a state of wide-open plains, there aren’t usually a ton of trees or extremely thick woods here, but for some reason, this two-mile straight away was surrounded by such thick and tall woods that the afternoon felt like the late evening. The further we walked down the road, the trees seemed to get thicker and thicker causing the only light we had, THE SUN, to be blocked out more and more. Looking back I don’t know why we didn’t think to run to the nearest 7-11 to get a flipping flashlight but sadly I can’t go back and smack my younger self for not suggesting it. Anyway, we’re just walking and talking and as we got closer we soon realized a couple of things. There were no other roads, no other driveways, no connections to anything. The road was just perfectly straight, with miles of chicken wire fencing and thick woods surrounding it on all sides (This is important to remember later) We also noticed that there wasn’t any wildlife noise. There weren’t any bugs making noise, not any animal movement, there wasn’t even any wind, and Oklahoma is windy as hell, I mean Naders, duh. Though we were all literally scratching our heads at this, we continued on our stupid decision making merely way. As we neared the end of the road, we encountered a problem. So right at the end of the road, there were two of those big orange and white reflective road blockers to keep cars from passing. Behind the reflective signs there were dozens, and I mean dozens of those huge concrete blocks they use to block off construction on highways scattered on top of each other like they were thrown into a pile all at once. Many of them were broken and crumbled and it honestly looked like a construction site graveyard and it totally gave me the creeps because how in the world did they get there?!? Nevertheless, we hadn’t just walked two miles down a dusty ass road for nothing so we all put on our big girl britches and walked around the signs to climb over the blocks. The second we passed the signs, an owl started hooting really loudly. Now, this wouldn’t have phased us at all if it hadn’t been eerily silent before. After we finished climbing over the rubble, we found ourselves standing right in front of the famous bridge that led to the witch's house. The bridge wasn’t long at all and we could see the ruins of the house and the whole property from where we were standing very clearly. We could even see the lone standing chimney and weird piles of stuff, but sadly the bridge had rusted out and collapsed so we weren’t able to cross safely. After discovering this, we angrily turned around to climb back over the rubble to start the two-mile trek back to my dad's truck. Now the whole time we were passed the orange and white road signs, the owl didn’t stop hooting. The timing of the owl hooting definitely bothered me, but what gave me full-body chills was the fact that the hooting sounded like an alarm like it was warning the witch we were coming.

    The second we passed the orange and white signs again, the hooting stopped. That’s when we all looked at each other like, “Oh heck no” and immediately started a fast-paced walk back to my dad's truck. By this time, it was nearly completely dark. There was just enough light to provided a faint glow so we were trying to hurry. We weren’t really talking just thinking about the weirdness that had just happened, keeping our eyes on the ground so as not to trip on something. We had walked about a mile down the straight path when my brother, who was 16 at the time, abruptly broke the silence and said “uhh mom” my head immediately snapped up to look at him because I could hear the panic in his voice. That was when we all turned around and saw the car lights beaming brightly at us about 50 yards away. We stood there staring at it for a few seconds frozen with fear. The car revved its engine at us a couple of times and all of a sudden it shot forward and started racing towards us. My mother screamed, “OH S**T” and I swear my stomach fell out of butt at that exact moment, because never in my life had I been that terrified. For one, up until then, in all my 11 years of life, I had never heard my mother curse, NOT ONCE, So I knew she meant business, and two I could literally feel every fiber of my body go into fight or flight mode. I was immediately concerned for my mom because she has horrible knees having been through two major knee surgeries, but when I looked back to check on her, that lady is outrunning all of us like the dang roadrunner cartoon on WB TV. It was apparently every man for himself! We ran in a dead sprint for a solid 30-45 seconds when all of a sudden, the headlights and revving of the engine vanished without a trace. There was complete silence again. There wasn’t even that leftover faint glow in the headlights like when you first turn off your car, it was just gone. At this point, we could see my dad’s truck about 20 yards away so we quickly ran to it, got in, and sped off like a bat out of hell. We were all half yelling half freaking out trying to understand what had happened. We all agreed that we had just seen and witnessed the same thing, and we all realized at once that the car had absolutely no way of being there. We walked down the two-mile straight dirt road that was surrounded by miles of woods and lined with chicken wire fencing. There were no other connecting roads in or out except the gated entrance my dad’s truck was blocking, and the end littered with a rubble graveyard and a rusted out caved in bridge. There was no logical explanation of how the car got there, or how it disappeared without a trace.

    To this day, 10 years later, I still don’t have an explanation of what happened that night. It’s definitely spooky, and I had the goosies the entire time I wrote this blog! Thank you for reading my weird crazy story, stay tuned because there's more to come.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts