Feedback Strategies Week 3

Review Picture: Markus Winkler

How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk

The first article I chose to read is How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk by Adam Grant. I loved his focus on the compliment sandwich method and the way he dissected it down. I have to admit, I am guilty of using the compliment sandwich method often, and I definitely use it to make myself feel better about having to give negative feedback. I agree with Grant, the compliment sandwich doesn’t taste as good as it looks.

Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters a Growth Mindset 

The second article I focused on was Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters a Growth Mindset by Gravity Goldberg. This article stuck out to me before it brought up another important topic we've already touched on a tiny bit and that's growth mindset. My favorite thing that Goldberg brought up is how important it is to be specific when giving feedback. I feel like sometimes when you're trying to give negative feedback, you skim over the really important stuff leaving out specific details to save the other person's feelings.

I think giving specific negative feedback when done correctly, will only help the other person grow. Especially in this class where there's so much creative writing involved, negative feedback is everything!

Resources 

Comments

Popular Posts