Topic Brainstorm



The first legend I found that I love is an American Indian Legend about colors. The story is about all the colors of the world fighting about which color is the best, the most loved. I liked this legend a lot because It reminded me a bit of Pocahontas and the colors of the wind. I've personally never heard this legend before which is why I think it caught my attention. I think I'd love to adapt the story by making the colors actual people, or by creating a world without color where people live in a society where color has been taken away to make people more "equal" and something has to happen for people to see the world in color again. I'm not sure, I'm definitely still working on ideas!



This legend took me so long to find. I briefly remembered this legend from my childhood but couldn't remember what it was called. After days of searching, I found the adaptation of the story that I think is the most like the version I grew up hearing but It's still not the exact one. I always loved this story because it's about the beauty within and not the beauty that's shown on the outside. It's like an American Indian adaptation of Cinderella! This snippet is actually from the book The Rough Face Girl by Rafe Martin. If I were to reimagine this story I think I would almost modernize it, maybe go to the sci-fi side of things. I was thinking of creating a world where everything is bland and lifeless and only one girl has the true sight and can see the beauty and life behind the film of darkness, and then somehow bring in the love interest. 



Many of us have grown up reading the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books or have seen the newly released movie. I have personally loved these stories ever since I was little! I had the idea of taking a couple of stories villains or ghost characters and creating a sort of apocalyptic world situation, or even a group of friends stuck somewhere experiencing attacks from the creatures. I also thought it'd be cool to have those friends experiencing these attacks, but then throwing in a huge plot twist at the end...



My last idea is re-writing the unsolved mystery of the Dyatlov Pass incident. This is a real case about the deaths of a group of college students that went hiking in the mountains in Russia in 1959. They all died in extraordinarily unusual and unexplainable ways leading people to speculate whether or not something supernatural could've been involved. If you've never read about this crazy story, go investigate now, this case was never truly solved. There have been speculations of a government test gone wrong, UFO involvement, and there have also been local legends brought up as an explanation to what happened to all the college kids that died. The local mountain village in the area believe that a yeti type snow creature attacked and killed all the students, so I was thinking of writing out a story including one of these supernatural speculations. Since there are so many speculations about what happened, I thought it'd be cool to set up the story to where the reader can choose the path the college students make while hiking, and the paths they take will determine if they survive. 



Photo of Notebook and Pencil: Jan Kahanek






Comments

Popular Posts